CMM would like to thank founding patron Imogen Heap and Mycelia for supporting our work.
Founded by Imogen Heap, Mycelia is a research and development hub for music makers, driven by a growing community of creatives, technologists and industry champions for the love of music. Their mission, through technology, is to bring to life a music maker database which will help realise a fair, sustainable and vibrant music ecosystem. To the non-music folks, this ultimately means fairer and faster payments to artists and a richer marketplace from which to build their careers by easing collaboration creatively and commercially.
Self-produced, independent, engaged, Imogen Heap continues to blur the boundaries between pure art form and creative entrepreneurship. Writing and producing 4 solo albums, Heap has developed a strong relationship with her fanbase. Creating tracks for movies, TV and most recently, the entire score for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play, in addition to collaborating with artists including Ariana Grande, Mika, Nitin Sawhney, Josh Groban and Deadmau5, Heap’s been nominated for five Grammys, winning one for engineering and another for her Taylor Swift’s contribution on the album 1989. She has also won an Ivor Novello Award, the Artist and Manager Pioneer award, the MPG Inspiration Award, a Drama Desk win for Outstanding Music in a Play and an honorary Doctorate of Technology.
In addition to her 20+ year music career, Heap strives to humanise the technology surrounding music performance and business operations with projects including the MI.MU gloves, a gestural music making system, and Mycelia’s ‘Creative Passport’ an ID hub for music makers.
- Manage Your Composing Career.
- Five Top Tax Tips.
- The Art of Negotiation.
- Songwriters on Songwriting.
- What the Hell is Article 13?
- Dissecting the Digital Dollar.
- The Music Managers Guide to Mental Health.
- Tips for Beating Tours When Buying Tickets Online.
- Resources coming soon...
- Safe Space - Sexual Harassment and Discrimination.
- Fair Play Venue Scheme.
- Advice on Hiring Musicians.
Previously featured in BASCA’s membership magazine The Works
MANAGE YOUR COMPOSING CAREER Download PDF
- Advice from Classical composers Dr Shirley Thompson OBE, Alexander Campkin, John McLeod and Soosan Lolavar.
FIVE TOP TAX TIPS Download PDF
- Eric Longley, Director of Taxation at Prager Metis, shares his wisdom with the aim to help composers and lyricists with this necessary part of business.
THE ART OF NEGOTIATION Download PDF
- Award-winning composer and sound designer, Marc Sylvan, on knowing your worth and knowing how to get it.
SONGWRITERS ON SONGWRITING Download PDF
- Highlights from BASCA and FAC event ‘All About Songwriting’ hosted by Imogen Heap and Katie Melua, featuring: MNEK, Carla Marie Williams, William Orbit and BASCA Fellow Don Black.
WHAT THE HELL IS ARTICLE 13? Download PDF
- F.A.C. NOT FICTION - A music myth-buster for the Copyright Directive and online copyright reform.
DISSECTING THE DIGITAL DOLLAR Download PDF
- Helping artists and managers navigate the streaming business.
- Dissecting The Digital Dollar is a series of reports, guides and tools from the Music Managers Forum
designed to help artists and managers better understand the streaming business and the impact the shift to streaming has had on the wider recorded music industry. The reports were produced for the MMF by music business consultancy CMU Insights
THE MUSIC MANAGERS GUIDE TO MENTAL HEALTH Download PDF
- Looking after yourself and the artists you work with.
- MMF and Music Support present this guide to help managers: achieve in their job without sacrificing their health, provide information on what to do if management or artists are having difficulties, and signpost organisations and services that exist to help and support during emergencies and in the longer term.
TIPS FOR BEATING TOUTS WHEN BUYING TICKETS ONLINE Download PDF
- Making ticketing fairer and more transparent for audiences and for artists.
- The FanFair Alliance
has put together this guide, with 10 tips to successfully navigate the ticket-buying process. There are no guarantees of success but their advice will reduce your risk of getting ripped off – and help you buy tickets at the price set by the artist, not by a ticket tout.
Resources coming soon...
SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND DISCRIMINATION
- Support and guidance if you face sexual harassment, discrimination or abuse in the workplace.
- You can also sign up to support the Music Sector Code of Practice.
FAIR PLAY VENUE SCHEME
- A database of venues that have signed up to the MU’s Fair Play Guide, committing to treat musicians fairly.
ADVICE ON HIRING MUSICIANS
- Information for members of the public who want to know how to find a music teacher or live music for their event, and what they need to know in advance.